Sunday, May 17, 2009

Gardening

This time of year reminds me of
Granny and Grandaddy Rutherford's garden.
They always planted a large garden to share
with family and friends.


Weeder's Thoughts
I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.
For me no flashing saber and sword,
To battle the swiftly marching horde;
With a valiant heart I fight the foe,
My only weapon a trusty hoe.
No martial music to swing me along,
I march to the robin redbreast song.
No stirring anthem of bugle and drum
But the cricket's chirp and the honey bee's hum.
No anti-aircraft or siren yell
But there's Trumpet-creeper and Lily-bell.
With a loving heart and a sturdy hand,
I defend the borders of flower-land;
While high over Larkspur and Leopardsbane,
A butterfly pilots his tiny plane;
But I shall not fear his skillful hand,
My enemy charges only by land.
Would those who lead nations in war and hate
But lay down their guns at some garden gate,
There, bury- their bombs and their bloody deeds,
And join the grand army that's fighting the weeds.
-ALMA B. Eymann

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Hi, Kim! This is my first visit....What a lovely blog. I have always had a fondness for gardens for the sme reason as you. Funny that I've never planted one one. Thanks for the memory. I'll be back.

Robin said...

EXCELLENT post!! I miss Granny & Grandaddy and their garden this time of year too, but you know I find myself going out every evening to walk around my garden...and it's only 1% of what their garden was!

Gina Louthian-Stanley said...

I love this post! Thank you for sharing it!